I was studying Psalm 43 with a friend (in Urdu) the other day. We came to the verse where it says (in English), "I will go to the alter of God".
I did not know the Urdu word for "alter", and asked my friend what it was. He did not know the word in English, and so gave the following English description, "It is God's Bloody Place, where the throats of the animals are slit for sacrifice".
Of course, it's an alter.
Sometimes I think of the "alter" as the carpeted stairs and dais at the front of the Church Meetinghouse. But it is not. It is a bloody place. It is where sacrifice and death take place.
I need to remember that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
1 comment:
There is a substantial difference between altar: and alter:
I'm assuming you meant altar: spelled with an a
altar:
noun 1. an elevated place or structure, as a mound or platform, at which religious rites are performed or on which sacrifices are offered to gods, ancestors, etc.
I never thought of an altar as a bloody place either.
Post a Comment