
When I first came to Our Fair City, a Burka was a Burka. Plain, black, with no fancy anything. The Burka had one job, that is to cover up a woman.
In the past several years, "Fancy" Burkas have been making inroads. Burkas with fancy stitching, Burkas that let the woman's hair out in back, Burkas that have embroidery and rhinestones and so on.
And controversy abounds. Some say that as long as it covers up as a woman as intended, it doesn't matter what the outside looks like. Others say the purpose is to NOT draw attention to a woman, therefore, it should be plain.
I have been trying to get a photo of such for some time now, but as Muslim women are not fond of photography, I have to be careful. So I did get this one recently, showing several Muslim women...one with a plain Burka, one with a fancy Burka, and two with no Burkas at all, just their usual indoor Shalwar Kamis'.
My favorite was a full, plain Burka clad woman who whipped by me on her pink scooter, and the wind caught the lower edge and revealed underneath some very tight, very stylish blue jeans.
Controversy abounds.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment