This quote was written some 150 years ago by a guy living in Turkey. Wow, do I understand it. :)
"Some letters which I receive have constant reference to my family, as though I were especially deficient in my duty to them, and needed to devote more time and thought for them. Others have constant reference to my translations, as though I needed to be stirred up to the importance of prosecuting the work with vigor, and not suffer my translator or the press to stand idle through my neglect. Others leave everything else out of the question, as of no comparative importance, and urge it upon me to preach, preach, preach. Others, again, from the various ... stations, and from all parts of America, are calling for letters, and blaming me for not answering theirs. Many, many of my friends are offended with me, and some of them say badthings about me... Now what to do I know not. I would most gladly give my time to my friends; I would give it all to my family; I would devote it all to the great work of translating the word of God; and I would with all my heart spend it in publishing the goodnews. But to devote the whole of it to each one of these objects is an impossibility. Only a certain portion can be given to each, and as one may receive more, another must receive less. Now, if any one could tell me exactly how to proportion the amount to be given to each, I should be thankful. But, while everybody seems to feel that I am very deficient somewhere, nobody seems to agree with his neighbor as to where the deficiency lies; and I seem to myself to be like the poor man who tried to please everybody, and pleased nobody, and accomplished nothing for himself. I must try more to please my blessed Lord, and let the whole world go."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
3 comments:
Excellent quote! And George Verwer used to say: "My kids tell me that I am a little over the top on preaching about balance." :)
Lowell, please know that I think you are doing a great job!
Hey, I never write you, so you don't have to feel under any pressure to write me personally.
I can see by reading your blog that you are a busy man. I always feel like you wrote each one just for me.
Guilt trip? Wassup with that?
OK, OK don't forget Mom and Dad.
Other than that, you're doing just fine!!!!!!!!
Get off it.
Oh yeah, I forgot, this is mtmama.
I'm up at Aunt Mina's today.
She was still using Netscape, :)
so now we have Internet Explorer and Outlook Express!
God bless you Lowell and know that we love you and your family a great big bunch!!!!
Post a Comment