Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Sun Shall Not Smite Thee by Day...

I memorized that Psalm as a child, and could never for the life of me understand what the writer was saying.... I mean, the sun is good and warm and pleasant and wonderful, right? Am I right?

I thought I was right till I moved to India. Wow. The Sun can be oppressive. Just like we have different words for snow and rain, they have different words for sunshine, and some of them are not pleasant. Dhoop is when the sun shines down on you in an oppressive fashion, which it does for months at a time here. Sometimes when riding in an autorickshaw, and I can't get my hand or foot inside because of the crowd, I will literally get a first degree burn. Not a sunburn, but a burn like I held it up to a candle, and got burned.

The Sun shall not smite me.

2 comments:

mtmama - Pa said...

This sounds like a clear case for the use of Raleigh's!

mtmama - Pa said...

My dear Lowell, could you please fix the following??


Lowell stoltzfus is a Medical Doctor taking some time off from practice is the USA