Why do my Indian Medical colleagues not get along?
I was sitting with a group of International Christians who live in India, and we were discussing some of the many things we had learned over the years. Someone suggested we should put it all together, maybe in a website. That way, we could share our knowledge.
What a good idea, sharing what we have learned, so others after us don’t have to go through some of the hard knocks that we have to go through.
One of the gentlemen who was part of the group is from India, and he just smiled at us, and looked happy and amazed at the same time. After awhile, he suddenly could contain himself no longer and burst out, “This is such an anathema in India. We would never do this. To us, Knowledge is Power, and we would never willingly share our power freely with others.
Is that why my colleagues in Medicine in India don’t get along? When I go to Grand Rounds or other gatherings of local Varanasi doctors, I am constantly amazed at the sniping, back stabbing, cutting down etc that happens.
But maybe that is because Knowledge is Power. And one needs to hold onto that Power.
Could explain the lack of patient education also.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
3 comments:
You are such a beautiful family! My name is Beth, and I volunteered in Kolkata for a year some time ago.
I can't quite remember who forwarded your blog to me, but I check it from time to time for another perspective on India!
I am American, and also visited Varanasi while I was there a few years ago. What a crazy crazy place. Beautiful in the same way as it is ugly, which seemed to be my finding on most of India.
Anyway- you and yours are in my prayers! What an important ministry and life you share over there.
Hi, I always enjoy reading your blog...thought provoking and good stuff. Read the comment by one of your readers with a mixture of sadness and a little bit of annoyance too. If foreign workers and volunteers cant feel compassion for a territory and it's people, no matter how poor/dirty/crowded-I see no point in them serving there at all. Calling my place'ugly' is uncalled for!! I can be really mean and say at least a thousand things which make her country ugly to me and indeed, to many people around the world...! America certainly comes under the category of ''extra grace required'' but that is not my point and I digress. India, needs Christ and His servants to serve there with love and compassion and not be judgemental...honestly, I am truly fed up of many volunteers who come to India and bad mouth it, you cant take it buddy, go back I say, but dont come in the name of Christ proclaiming love and good news and nonchallantly go on spoiling the case for Christ! I have even had this one guy wokring for YWAM telling me to my face, India is like a toilet! Ah, extra grace required indeed! I should have also asked him to take the next flight back to Alabama!
On a seprate note related to your post, I am not in denial about Varanasi, even though it is my hometown. But with so many issues affecting us including the very real problem of being overpopulated, we cant help being competetive. Whether it is jumping a queue, being selfish and just getting ahead in every sphere of life. So doctors fighting amongst themselves is not surprising. The differenece between them and the group gathered to discuss 'issues ' and share knowledge ,has already been pointed out by you ie they are christians!! Whereas, those doctors arent! Therein lies the difference, that's all. So,ofcourse, they will all display traits of people who havent encountered Christ in a personal way. Bad behaviour cannot be justified, which any average American or Indian or anyone for that matter will understand if they knew Christ! This must cause every christian pain and I can see where you are coming from. But I must tell you people all over fight and back stab. Only Christ can chnage all this really.
Sorry about the long comment and now it sounds like a post in it self! But the first comment really got me thinking! and venting looks like...keep those posts coming, they aways make me think esp since just like you, I am an expat too!
In him,
Harshika
Dubai.
Harshika,
I can't tell you how sorry I was about my post being read that way.. I really apologize. I absolutely loved my time in India!
There was absolutely *so* much beauty there. I guess what I was trying to say is that when we encounter other cultures we find some of the most beautiful things are the ones that take us out of our comfort zones. Sometimes it is in ugly situations, poverty or simply being misunderstood- that we see the real beauty of others.
I do apologize for the wording, I really did not intend for it to come across as judgmental. My time in India was a beautiful gift... and I was just delighted to find another blogger enjoying it there and getting to join in the Indian life.
Again, apologies to you..
Post a Comment