Tuesday, September 02, 2008

I Usually Try to Avoid the "Camps"


When Western Docs go overseas, a lot of time what they end up doing is a "Health Camp", where hundreds of people are seen in a brief period of time.

I usually try to avoid these, as I think they offer poor quality Health Care, with abyssmal standards of Quality Assurance. (I mean, give me a break, how high is a Doctors Standards if he spends less than sixty seconds with a patient?)

Anyways, occasionally, I do get roped into one, as I did this past weekend. I did insist on some Standards, such as asking more than a few questions, and doing a Physical Exam. Which made me slower than the other docs, but what to do? Now the patients know where I work, and can come back another day, if needbe.

Anyways, that was my long weekend. Too many hours dripping in sweat with dozens of people touching me and pulling on my shirt and elbows.

In the photo, I am explaining to a patient in full Burkha how to take a medication. Which brings up the interesting question of: How exactly does one do an Exam on a patient in a full Burka?

1 comment:

Jan said...

Were you able to answer your question?