Our house in India is “halal”. That is an Arabic word, similar to “kosher”. That means there are no pork products allowed in the house. This is for the sake of our Muslim friends, who are forbidden to eat pig meat. While we are free to eat as we please, if our Muslim friends found out that there had once been pig meat on the plates we serve them with, they would find that disgusting and rude.
(Handy hint when having Practicing Muslims over to your home: use paper plates.)
Our friends know we are allowed to eat pork, and are grateful that we have made this sacrifice on their behalf. They even tease us about it.
So when we are not in our home, such as visiting or traveling, there are no problems for us to eat pork, ham, and bacon. But none in our home in India.
After eight years of this, it is odd to me that I neither crave pork products, nor go out of my way to get them. Indeed, while here in Thailand, surrounded by some of the most incredibly luscious pork loins, bacon and ham that we have found, I have no desire to indulge. When it is served, I do eat it, and even enjoy it. But it is strange to me how I do not desire it anymore.
What will my Muslim friends think? If they teased me before, they will REALLY tease me now. :)
I humbly stand willing to be re-acculturated when we get back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
1 comment:
Even so, you're still more than welcome to bring a pound of bacon as your white elephant gift anytime. :-)
Post a Comment