Monday, December 04, 2006

Reguarding Apostrophes

"So what are the jobs an apostrophe currently has on its CV? Before we start tearing out our hair at sloppy, ignorant current usage, first let us acknowledge the sobering wisdom of the Oxford Companion to English Literature..., "There never was a golden age in which the rules for the possessive apostrophe were clear-cut and known, understood and followed by most educated people.""

That is taken from Eats, Shoots and Leaves, the Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation! by Lynne Truss.

It is a really fun and well written book about punctuation, if you are into that sort of thing.

My wife and I have on-going battles about my alleged over-use and her alleged under-use of possessive apostrophes. (Note I did not put an apostrophe there).

Want to know what is really funny? I am at an Internet Cafe, and the keyboard I am using does not have several key punctuation parts, namely the colon and semi-colon. What a deal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really don't care as long as you spell it correctly. :)

Possessive apostrophes show ownership of something and are used in conjunction with the letter s. You can do a simple test to decide the location of a possessive apostrophe by rephrasing it with have or has.

Good site to check it out.
http://www.bcc.ctc.edu/writinglab/Apostrophe.html