Monday, February 09, 2009

Monkey Business

We were at a Church Service yesterday, when our four year old Miriam saw a friend of hers sitting in front of us, and begged to go and sit with her friend (also conveniently named Miriam). The Moms talked it over and decided that they could sit together, as long as there was no "Monkey Business".

Sounds serious.

When I was a kid, "foolishness" was the worst case thing to get in trouble for.

There were various phrases and words that Mom and Dad would use to describe our steadily worsening behaviour, but if Mom or Dad accused us of "foolishness", we knew we were in trouble. Something had tipped the scales, and we were really in trouble.

So I made sure that Miriam understood, that in addition to "Monkey Business", "Foolishness" would also not be tolerated. On pain of time outs.

2 comments:

Noel said...

Reminds me of "Monkey Sunday," a book I enjoyed when Talitha was younger. Set in an open-sided meeting building in Congo. Real monkeys in the rafters snatch away food offerings and otherwise distract all the children.

http://www.amazon.com/Monkey-Sunday-Story-Congolese-Village/dp/0374350183/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234193144&sr=1-1

Sharon said...

Hi Lowell and Amy, this is the first I've looked at your blog. I may not be able to read it often due to lack of internet access. But I hope to read it as I'm able and hopefully keep up a bit with what's happening. I'm jealous of you in Thailand right now!:)