Monday, August 11, 2008

A Synthesis of Current Information Regarding the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ...(from a six year old)

We were riding in a taxi recently, and to pass the time, Nora Grace turned to Miriam and said, "Let me tell you a story... I can tell you the story of how Jesus died on the Cross."

And so Nora Grace launched into a fairly accurate portrayal of what happened, according to the Gospels, including quoting the words from the Cross.

However, you should note, Nora Grace has also recently watched the movie, "Ben Hur", the old classic Charleton Heston flick taking place in the time of Christ. And further, I am teaching Nora Grace Ancient History, and we are currently working our way through the Roman Empire, complete with my bias regarding Latin etc.

And thus the otherwise scripturally accurate portrayal was filled with little comments that included:
"...and when Jesus was carrying the cross out of the city, He fell down and Ben Hur helped Him for a bit, and then Ben Hur's Mommy and Sister got better..."
"... Jesus walked up Calvary on a really good road, because the Romans built really good roads, and we can still drive on them today, but this is not a Roman road, because we are in Thailand..."
"... when Jesus said, "I thirst", they gave Him something to drink, because when Ben Hur was thirsty, Jesus also gave him something to drink..."
"...they were talking in Latin, because that is what the Romans spoke, and they were in charge, and made everyone speak Latin, but we have better nouns...

Anyways, the possible concerns regarding Home Schooling.

(Sorry if all the stories about the kids get a little old, they really do make for some of the best material.)

6 comments:

Jan said...

Here, here. The stories of what your kids say and do will probably not get old until they are 21.

If Aaron and Nathan were mine you would be getting a ton of funny stories about what comes out of their mouths on my blog. As it is I laugh out loud sometimes.

Still in Thailand?

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious! I guess I need to read or watch Ben Hur.
Kellie

Noel said...

Keep writing them down. The kid stories age really well. You'll prove that when you tell Nora Grace stories to Nora Grace's kids.

Waldemar Family said...

I love your "kids" stories. Nora Grace is one amazing little girl. Makes us really miss you!

Anonymous said...

Keep them coming! I love reading about the kids. Makes me laugh out loud and really enjoy their growing up process as well as appreciate Miguel's for all his silliness as well! I should really write his stories down too!
- Shelly

Shannon said...

That's too funny! Lee and I were laughing quite loudly about this one. :D