Tuesday, August 19, 2008

“I was born and raised in Varanasi.” An Addendum to the Below Entry:

Nora Grace is of the habit of spouting out random sentences on occasion that may not have anything to do with what is going on at the time.

The other night at supper she said, “I was born and raised in Varanasi, wasn’t I?”

Well, yes, I suppose she was. I hadn’t thought of it before. At least thus far, Varanasi has been her home.

She has been telling us how much she misses her home in recent weeks while we were in Thailand. She misses her friends in Varanasi, and she misses her routine, she misses her bed, and all her books.

These things, in combination with the previous post, make for a confused Dad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While we've had a shorter time to struggle with this, just know that we are in it with the same emotions you have. We know what our kids are missing and a lot of times, they don't. It hit me a lot on my trip to the States. Grandparents, other kids, Sunday School, English kindergarten, friends, fairs, corn on the cob, grass, etc, etc, etc. It's hard to be contented FOR them. I want them to have all that. Can they be "normal" without it?? But they are happy, and I want to be satisfied with that! How can we worry less....
Candice

Anonymous said...

Its nice to hear from others who have these same thoughts! Nathan and Aaron started school at Rosslyn 2 weeks ago. There are 45 different nationalities represented in their school. In Nathan's classroom, she used strings on a map to show where the kids were from (using their "passport" nationality). His teacher informed us recently that they had to redo this chart because the children didn't think they were really from the place on their passport. Nathan was one of these children. Kenya is where he is "from". The US is where he "visits". Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.