Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Waiters then gave all the Miscreants a Sound Thrashing

I was digging through some old music I had laying around, and I came across a songbook left from our good friends the Freemans. (We won't say how old it is).

Tucked in among the music was this little newspaper clipping, describing a shootout at a local restaurant a few years ago.

What makes the clipping all the more memorable, is that the Freemans were in the restaurant at the time of the shooting, and had bullets hit the wall over the table where they were sitting.

My recollection of the story is thus: the Freemans' food had only just come to their table, and the gunmen were blocking the only exit. So the Freemans, in their emminantly practicle state-of-mind, took their plates underneath their table and proceeded to eat their supper huddled on the floor down there.

After all, what else was their to do?

Jillian, I shall expect comments. :)

5 comments:

Jan said...

Okay Lowell, what I want to know: Is the shooting really funny, or does the article (and headline) make it funny or is it just the way you put it all together that makes it funny? Because I don't really think of shooting incidents as funny, normally. But yours is.

Shannon said...

HAHA! Lee and I got a good laugh from this post, though, like Jan, we felt a bit odd laughing at a shooting incident.

Anonymous said...

Yeah Lowell, you got me online!!!!
Hey we don't remember the story the same as you - we all agree, we were too scared to think of taking our dinner under the table (Ross says he didn't get under the table) and , sorry to ruin your story - I don't think the bullets went just above our table - more like into the lobby two tables away. And also - you used the wrong 'their' in what else was 'there' to do?

From all of us. Man we gotta watch you!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm all for more thrashing of miscreants. Those were good waiters!

I found it interesting that the report of the police killing two criminals is tucked at the end of the story.

Lowell said...

Hey everyone,
Thanks for the notes.
I guess because no one got hurt (badly), it seemed less concerning, especially as the only ones to get hurt were the people with guns, who got "thrashed".
Jillian, thank you for setting the record straight. I hope no one ever uses my blog as a historical archive. :)
And Andy (Lang?), you are correct. There are criminal versus police shootouts on most days in this district (most of the criminals are "notorious"), but they usually get only a couple of lines in the paper.
Merry Christmas,
Lowell