I just finished reading Thomas Friedmans book, "The World is Flat", about how the internet, Globilization etc are changing the world, so that now we are more like one big country, instead of numerous smaller countries. Here are some observations:
1. He is telling me stuff I already know, I just have been to busy to think about it.
2. The more things change, the more they stay the same. The method of maintaining relationships change (from letters to email), but a relationship is still a relationship. Business is still business.
3. The indirect references to the Tower of Babel are fascinating. The world is being leveled, "one world" is emerging. Walls based on nation, tribe, creed and tongue are being destroyed. What will G-d do now?
4. It works where Christianity is permitted and blessed. Much of it is based on trust, equality and peacefully working together and resolving disputes. These are Christian qualities. Where Christianity is hated, it doesn't work.
5. Mahoman Singh, in the early 90's, did more to change India than any other Indian since 1950.
6. It is creating a new type of "rich" and "poor", "slave" and "free". The geeks are becoming the ruling class. Computer illiterate people have a difficult time making a living wage.
7. The author likes Macs.
8. The author does not like George Bush.
9. I have many "flat world moments", but I don't live in a flat world. I might be in India seeing a Basque patient using a French person who speaks Spanish as a second language to translate about how to take his Chinese made medicines, but I still rode my bicycle over to see him.
10. The new jobs outlined in the chapter "the Untouchables", are mostly people doing one of two things: Either doing their old jobs in new ways, or showing people how to do their old jobs in new ways.
11. Learning how to do things by yourself (without formal training) is one of the best skills you can have. I never had a computer class, but I am blogging. On the other hand I have had many grammar classes, and just look at this mess.
12. The big important skills to have include: Curiosity, Passion, Getting Along well with Others, Being "Well-Rounded", and a Culture of Trust.
13. He thinks the answer to problems is Big Government. I couldn't disagree more.
14. His comments on Islamists (that they are not religious, but political, and so on) are profound and well worth reading.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
1 comment:
Lowell, your grammer skills are fine most of the time!
I never went to high school but....(making a note to self), you could become a blogger.
But, wait a minute, what would I blog about? Life on the mountain with the MtMan?
I could write a daily blog about the adventures of our (children).
This spring a feral cat came to our house and had kittens down in the woods under a rock. They were all extremely wild, including Mama.
It took me forever to semi-tame them. So last week, I took pictures of them along to work to try and generate some interest in them. I was hoping to find homes for them. I did receive a few inquires.
MtMan got rather testy with me. He said, They are our children, you don't give your own children away"!"
So now we are the proud parents of three children and their Mama.
Thanks to MtMan!
You kinda have to feel sorry for senior citizens when they are reduced to adopting animals for their children.
Post a Comment