Yesterday as I was riding my bicycle to work, a rickshaw passed me, well nigh laden with a gaggle of early school age youngsters. As it turned out, they were coming home from Nora Grace's School.
One of them recognized me and immediately began to shout, "Noora's Papa, Noora's Papa". All the other's joined in, hollering, "Namaste", "Hello", and other greetings and messages, and nearly falling from there respective seats in their enthusiasm for getting my attention.
For most of my life, in many parts of the world, my name has not been "Lowell", but instead is, "Freddy's Boy" or "Fred and Jean's Boy". (Fred being my Dad, Jean being my Mom). Being named "Freddy's Boy" or "Fred and Jean's Boy" is a badge I have worn with honor, even when I am 40 years old, and make a six digit salary. (Well, I don't make a six digit salary now, but I used to, and maybe I do make a six digit salary if you count it in Indian rupees).
So it appears I have now gone directly from being "Freddy's Boy" to being "Nora's Daddy", with nary a stop in between. I guess I thought there might be awhile where I was just me, instead of being associated with someone else.
Oh well, there is much comfort in being associated with others, especially when they are as cool as Fred and Jean, or as Nora Grace!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment