Monday, May 19, 2008

It has been ages since I have had so much fun with the Ten Commandments

I was studying Exodus 20 with this Muslim guy, when he came across the second commandment. To writ:

"You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God..."

He was really excited to read this, and called a bunch of his friends in to hear it also.

Muslims think that Christians worship idols. What with Catholic and other statuary and crucifixes and images on stained glass, they may have a point. It soothed him so much to realize that idols are actually forbidden in Christianity.

I am not so sure he caught the whole explanation I gave as to why many Christians do have images of God in their homes and meetinghouses, but it was nice to see him excited about the Bible.

I guess my own spiritual ancestors got in trouble for breaking up statuary in Catholic places, so what to do?

No comments: