Monday, May 19, 2008

At Least He was the Guest Speaker

Visited a new Fellowship yesterday. The Sunday School was great and worship was a delight; but I was less than impressed with the Speaker.

I call him “the Speaker” and not “the Preacher”, because there was no actual preaching involved.

He started with a PowerPoint presentation with lots of well shot images and graphs. This was followed by a number of inspirational quotes and helpful aphorisms. He would connect these with thought provoking questions followed by long, serious pauses. He talked a bit about current events in the popular press, and it was fairly clear he spent a fair amount a time watching CNN. He tossed in a couple of more professional pictures on the screen, along with a couple of challenging video clips, and then closed with prayer.

The one time he mentioned the Bible, the verse was misquoted and taken out of context.

You can’t preach without the Bible, and you cannot call yourself a Preacher if you do not use the Bible.

Sunday morning should be reserved for the Bible, and a qualified man to exposit what it is saying to us in our times. A typical sermon should require many hours of Bible Study.

Granted, I get on a soapbox for lots of things, but getting up on Sunday morning and not using the Bible is one of the ways that really gets me miffed.

Anyways, I did enjoy everything else, and should be grateful for how God blesses us in so many ways.

No comments: