Friday, August 10, 2007

Resolved: to study the Bible

When I was a young man, I spent huge amounts of time studying the Bible, and knew the Bible incredibly well. And I loved this. And I was arrogant about it. Perhaps my arrogance was just the benign arrogance of a young man who can do something well, but it was truly a pride issue.

In recent years, my time in the Bible has been much less. The reasons are the usual ones (kids, work, life etc), which is to say, no excuse at all.

And I miss it.

I have been impressed with those around me who are obviously drinking deep in the Bible. And I long for it. This is what I crave and yearn for.

So I write in this public yet anonymous place that I will delve deep, rummage around and drink richly.

Not sure how I will do that. Changing habits is difficult.

2 comments:

Eric said...

One blessing that has come with Bobby's cancer and treatment has been time to sit and read the Word of God. Not that I'm as consistent as I should be, either :( But we've also been able to have wonderful family Bible study times. I'll be praying that you will find the time you need!

Alice

Lowell said...

Thanks Alice and Eric,

I read the book of Galatians aloud to myself yesterday morning, and reveled (Spelling? you know what I mean).

Blessings,

Lowell