Sunday, August 19, 2007

Prone to Melancholy

David Brainard (spelling? Ok, there are loads of spelling mistakes here) fameously said that he was "Prone to Melancholy".

Makes sense to me.

As we have had a fantastic time these past two months, seeing so many family and friends, all the goodbyes and hectic schedules make for some feelings of sadness to be leaving them again.

Nora Grace has been saying for a few days now, "It's time to go back to India again, Daddy". She is also a bit overwhelmed, I think.

PS: I do not meet DSM-IV criteria for Major Depressive Episode. I am just a bit down in the dumps about leaving again. This is exacerbated by being tired, jet-lagged from Thailand, and a bit stressed about some last minute plane ticket issues. Emergency counceling is not needed, just a simple prayer will suffice. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And we who have to watch you go are also feeling that melancholy! Even those of us who got to see you this trip, the time is never enough. We love you dearly and pray for your safe and fruitful travels.

Anonymous said...

I teared up just reading these last entries. I know you don't need any counseling, but this is the life of those who live internationally and travel back and forth. It's full of hellos and good-byes. NG is coping by telling herself and you it's time to go. But she is no doubt feeling much the same as you, or even feeling more intensely.
I console myself with the same thought that we will all be able to make it up in heaven. If we don't it will only be for not remembering that it was all so important to us here, something else, someone else my be capturing all our attention there.
You are all in my prayers. And welcome anytime in Kenya whenever I get settled.
Love and mercies in the days ahead.

Lowell said...

Hey Shelly and Cliff,

I miss the west Coast. Hope you guys enjoy the Autumn routine.

Lowell and Amy

Lowell said...

Hey Jan,

Tracy has been on Amy to come to Kenya also. Not so far away...

I think we would have to have Yellow Fever vaccines to get in, if we came from India. Same for you guys going the other way, I think.

Blessings,

Lowell