Saturday, April 28, 2007

"I Didn't Clean My Shoes For a Week!!"

Well, assuming a foreigner visits America, what is the first thing he will tell his family on his return his home, assuming his home is our fair city?

My Urdu tutors youngest brother is a computer guy, works in India for some American outfit. They brought him to Chicago for a month of training. The fellow was the talk of the neighborhood here in Varanasi.

He seemed to enjoy himself, and the biggest thing that got talked about on his return was how clean America is.

In Varanasi, I clean my shoes before I put them on in the morning (it doesn't make sense to clean them in the evening, since they would just get covered in dirt while sitting through the night). By the time I get to work a half hour later, they are grey with dust, and I have a rag tied around my bike just for the purpose of wiping off my shoes one more time.

Well, Northern Illinois was not like that. And the whole family was amazed to hear that he went a whole week without wiping the dust from his shoes.

So it goes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is not August yet. Then the dust really comes out here in northern IL. Although sitting at one of Josh's baseball games last week the dust was coming off the field at a pretty good clip.

Lowell said...

Hi Wendy,

thanks for the note, and we are looking forward to seeing you soon.
I think this fellow is supposed to go back for a three year stint, so he will learn many things about America. :)

Lowell