"Cristen men and wymmen, olde and yonge, shulden studie fast in the Newe Testament, for it is of ful autorite, and opyn to undirstonding of simple men, as to the poyntis that be moost nedeful to salvacioun..."
"Therefore no simple man of wit be aferd (afraid?) unmesurabli to studie in the text of the holy writ...and no clerk be proude of the verrey undirstondyng of holi writ, for why undirstonding of hooly writ with outen charite that kepith Goddis (be) heestis, makith a man depper dampned..."
The quote is from Winston Churchill's "A History of the English Speaking Peoples", Volume I, The Birth of Britain.
Some things I noted:
1. The same word (holy) is spelled in several different ways (holy, holi, hooly).
2. It is easy to make fun of the words that have spellings so different, but also easy to skip over the words whose spellings we still use but are so illogical.
3. This, I believe, 150 years before the Reformation and 250 years before the King James Bible.
4. Should Wyclif ever have hung out with John of Gaunt?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
1 comment:
I think "aferd" is meant to be "offered"
Very interesting...
Post a Comment