Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Such a Heavy Decistion...

We brought Elijah home from the Hospital on Sunday (we will probably call him "Eli" for short). Amy busied herself in the apartment for a few minutes, and Eli started crying. I picked him up, and took a breath to begin singing to him before Amy would come and feed him.

Suddenly it struck me... this would be the first song that Eli would hear... it should be a good one!

My head started running through the many possibilities -- and there are so many to choose from -- but I kept coming back to hymns about the Church. Now there is a group of hymns that can easily bring tears to my eyes (who am I kidding? it doesn't take much to bring tears to my eyes, and most any hymn can do it in the right circumstances).

So I picked up my hymnal that I don't travel without (the red one, 1969 edition), and started in on Bealoth (I love Thy Kingdom, LORD), followed by "O Where are Kings and Empires Now?" (St. Anne), For All the Saints (Sine Nomine), Aurelia (The Church's One Foundation), and Austrian Hymn (Glorious Things of Thee are Spoken).

Elijah, however, wanted milk.

No comments: